Dear Fellow New Mexican,
THIS WEEK IN BRIEF:
- Call New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas to demand a compliance audit of the Las Vegas Health Trust, and ask that he insist that the Trust use funds to address the lack of a Women's Health and Birthing Center in the area. 1-844-255-9210
- Contact your Representatives in DC to demand special prosecutor and an independent investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 election.
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL:
DEMAND AN AUDIT OF THE LAS VEGAS HEALTH TRUST
The women of seven counties of Northeastern New Mexico currently have no hospital OB/GYN services. OB/GYN services were available at Alta Vista Regional Hospital (a for-profit hospital in Las Vegas, NM) until March of 2016, when the CEO, Mr. Chris Wolf, closed the unit because of “market conditions.” Apparently Mr. Wolf feels that women's health is not profitable enough to be worthwhile. This closure forces women to travel to Santa Fe, Albuquerque, or Taos to give birth, and has already resulted in the tragic death of a woman and her baby-on-the-way while en-route from Las Vegas to the maternity ward in Santa Fe. This prioritizing of profit over health and safety is unacceptable.
Meanwhile, the Las Vegas Health Trust, a not-for-profit foundation created with money from the sale of Northeastern Regional Hospital in 2000, have had a mysterious loss of assets to the tune of about5 million dollars (from 9 million in 2000 to 4 million in 2013 according to their IRS 990s.) According to their mission statement, these funds are to help maintain critical health care services.Attorney General Hector Balderas sent a letter on September 8th, 2016 to Mr. Gilbert Vallejos, president of the Las Vegas Health Trust. Balderas stated: “As you are no doubt aware, the closure of obstetrical services at Alta Vista Regional Hospital in Las Vegas, New Mexico, has left an unacceptable gap in services for women in northeastern New Mexico.” In that letter he also requested of Mr. Vallejos: “Please provide a description of any efforts, if any, the Trust has made to address this gap in services.” To this day, no efforts have been made to address this urgent healthcare crisis.
Please call Attorney General Balderas to demand a compliance audit of the Las Vegas Health Trust, and ask that he insist that the Trust use funds to address the lack of a Women's Health and Birthing Center in the area.
Attorney General Balderas: 1-844-255-9210
- I'm calling to ask that Attorney General Balderas conduct a compliance audit of the Las Vegas Health Trust.
- The Trust has done nothing to address the dangerous gap in services left by the closing of the OB/GYN unit of the Alta Vista Regional Hospital.
- The Las Vegas Health Trust should address this urgent problem by directing funds to a Women's Health and Birthing Center in Las Vegas.
DEMAND A SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR - RUSSIA/TRUMP COLLUSION
In the wake of FBI Director James Comey's firing, we have grave concerns about the integrity of the investigations into the Russian connections with the Trump administration. Given the involvement of the Attorney General and the Deputy Attorney General in the firing, we cannot trust the heads of the DOJ to handle these investigations fairly.
Contact Senators Udall and Heinrich, as well as your Congressperson, and demand that they support a special prosecutor and an independent investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 election.
- Senator Martin Heinrich: 202-224-5521
- Senator Tom Udall: 202-224-6621
- Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham(1st District): 202-225-6316
- Congressman Steve Pearce(2nd District): 202-225-2365
- Congressman Ben Ray Lujan(3rd District ): 202-225-6190
Thank you for all you are doing!
Amelia + Marisa