Dear Fellow New Mexican,
THIS WEEK IN BRIEF:
- Click HERE and scroll down to the bottom of the page to send an email to Interior Secretary Zinke, asking him to protect New Mexico's national monuments
- If you live in Santa Fe, if you haven't yet voted, please vote YES tomorrow, Tuesday, May 2nd on the soda tax
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL:
Firstly, we want to say Happy May Day and thank you to anyone on this list who marched in solidarity with immigrants and workers today or otherwise participated in the May Day actions around the state. Here are some simple actions for the rest of the week:
PROTECT NEW MEXICO'S NATIONAL MONUMENTS
Some of you may know that last Wednesday, President Trump signed an executive order that opens the door to reduce or remove federally protections from National Monuments around the nation, including New Mexico's two newest, which were designated by President Obama. This would pave the way for oil and gas exploration inside these protected lands. Please click HERE to read more about it. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page to send an email to Interior Secretary Zinke (who is responsible for "reviewing" these monuments), and tell him why you believe New Mexico's monuments deserve protection.
SANTA FE, VOTE YES ON THE SODA TAX TOMORROW (TUESDAY, MAY 2ND)
We explained in a previous email why we believe this is important. We know that not everyone on this list will agree, but we endorse a YES vote. This tax will be used to fund pre-K for low-income families in Santa Fe, which will be a big help for working families who are burdened by expensive childcare. Also, numerous studies show that pre-K is hugely beneficial to young students and has enormous long-term benefits.
Here is a list of places where you can vote tomorrow (polls are open from 7am to 7pm):
- Montezuma Lodge, 431 Paseo de Peralta
- St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 1301 Osage Avenue
- St. John’s United Methodist Church, 1200 Old Pecos Trail
- Christian Life Church, 121 Siringo Road
- Sweeney Elementary School, 4100 S. Meadows Road
- Southside Library, 6599 Jaguar Drive
- Kearny Elementary School, 901 Avenida de las Campanas
- Genoveva Chavez Community Center, 3221 Rodeo Road
If you have time on today and tomorrow and want to help get out the vote in Santa Fe (this is important because the vote is VERY close right now), please call Carol Oppenheimer at 505-690-2456 and let her know. She will be coordinating volunteers at the Center for Progress and Justice today until 9pm and tomorrow from 7am until 7pm.
Thank you for all you are doing!
Amelia + Marisa